Friday, May 25, 2007

Sox Game and Potpourri

Sox Game
Well, someone beat me to writing about the Sox-A's game from Tues...and did a fine job of it. I will try to point out some different things in light of this...

One great thing about a game at Comiskey truly is the view of downtown from the top of the stadium (surprised you didn't mention that Mrs. Utley). Especially after a night game (which this was) the skyline is electric and sparkling. The exploding scoreboard is always great too...and it went off a few times since both Dye and Thome went deep...Thome drove in 5 runs and the Sox offense has looked tons different with him back.

A great thing about scoring all those runs early is the game feels much more relaxed...although pulling out a close game in the end is an even better experience. But, being up 10-1 early in the game you knew the Sox were on their way to a win. Man, they battered that poor starter pretty bad. There were a couple huge double plays for the Sox in the first couple innings on amazing stabs by the infielders that kept the A's off the board...and the rest is history.

Not only was there a great "exodus" of people before the game, but there were ridiculous "games" between just about every half inning. It paid off though as the guy next to us caught a T-Shirt that was thrown to our section and then left it behind. It fits and it gave me a shirt to wear the next day since I stayed longer than expected. Not bad.

It was also nice that there was a girl taking pictures of people for the Sox website (which you would have to buy of course) so floating around somewhere on the web there is a picture of us and the lush green field. Not paying $10 or whatever for it though.

The other thing of "note" was that our departure was delayed by poor relief in the 9th...not that there was any fear of blowing the whole game, just enough to keep us there a few batters too long. But all in all it was a great game with lots of great plays.

Cubs-Sox
My only statement to Mrs Utley about choosing a team was about the Cubs. Not only are they my team's hated rival, but I could unequivocally say "you can't root for the Cubs because the organization is inept." That sums it up to me.

In the end I don't think I could make a case for rooting for the Sox so much as not rooting for the Cubs. And when you get down to it I wonder if we really choose teams to root for that way anyway. I don't think I've ever just decided I would like and root for a certain team. And as was previously pointed out, with a secondary team it probably won't last anyway.
There needs to be a different attachment that leads to rooting for a team...

Second Teams
The Sox are my second team and I will explain why, just as I was getting at above...but I will do it in a separate post soon....

2 comments:

thempirates said...

Your second favorite team should be the Pirates, as in, "I love PLAYING the Pirates."

birdsonabat said...

Yeah, but as you mentioned before...did it really even matter?
I had the realization the other day that even if we swept three series in a row we would just be a .500 team. And that is not going to happen.