Thursday, May 31, 2007

Around Boston

Everyone keeps talking about the Red Sox being 14.5 (now 13.5 games) up in the AL East. I've heard it on the talk radio shows and read it in both the Globe and the Herald. This is nice and all, but last time I checked, there are 5 teams in the American League East, including the Orioles and the Blue Jays who are 10.5 and 11.5 games back respectively. Believe it or not, the Orioles have won the AL East more recently than the Red Sox, so I don't know why everyone's counting them out.


That being said, it's time for the weekly Yankees-Red Sox series. I believe this will be the fifth or sixth series between the two teams, which, not to make too fine a point, is five or six more series than we've seen between Boston and Tampa Bay. The big thing nowadays seems to be A-Rod's behavior both on and off the field. I can't remember an opponent that was so hated. Others have been booed, but for the most part, out of respect. Everytime I think he's gone as low as he can, Alex Rodriguez does something else to lose whatever little respect for him I have. That probably sums up the feelings of most of Massachusetts. They'll be 36,000 "MINE!!!"s every popup hit to him this series. I can't promise him that'll be the worst he hears, and I also can't promise that there won't be a blond wig or two in the stands.

The general consensus around the area is this is the weekend the Sox bury the Bombers once and for all. As awesome as that would be, I'm always weary of the Yankees coming to town. I've followed the Red Sox too long and seen them get manhandled by New York too often to feel that confident. I think this is a big series. Obviously, it's more important for New York than Boston. It could turn the Yankees season around. If they win it, they'll have momentum going with the Rocket on the mound. Not good.

Tito realized since the Yanks are holding off Clemens, there's no reason to waste an Automatic Win Day, so Tavarez is being pushed back till Monday. We have Wang vs Wakefield, Mussina vs Schilling, and Pettitte vs Beckett. The series is at Fenway, so therefore, I'm expecting the Sox to take at least 2 of 3.

One last thing: don't bean A-Rod. Last thing anyone needs is a fight to break out and to have the Yankees rally around him. He's in my black book of people to get (actually, he's the only person in the book...), but now's not the time.

No comments: