Tuesday, May 29, 2007

First Time at Fenway

I was at Fenway today, not to go to a game, but to go to see Pirates of the Caribbean at the AMC about 5 blocks from the park. I walked around Yawkey Way and Lansdowne Street just to soak in the atmosphere. Afterwards, I went to a McDonalds in Kenmore Square which is decorated with a bunch of really old Red Sox photos. I sat down with my number 2 inbetween two of these photos. One was Roger Clemens. The other had Roger with Mo Vaughn and Scott Cooper, who Ken might know of cause I think he went to St. Louis after two years here, but I'm pretty sure no one else has. The wall opposite to me had Nomar Garciapara. Next to Nomar was Dwight Evans. Near the enterance was another Mo Vaughn, this time alone. Is McDonalds business that bad that they can't update some of those photos? There wasn't one photo of anyone from the 2004 club, never mind this one. It kinda sickens me that Yankee fans will come to town and see more current Yankees than Red Sox, but I take comfort in the fact that they also have to see the standings.

It looks to be official that the two photos are pretty much all we'll be seeing of Roger in Fenway. The Yanks are making him throw an extra session to "avoid the Red Sox series." That's straight from their web page. The story later quotes Torre as saying ""I'm not disappointed that he's not pitching in Fenway, let's put it that way." What a vote of confidence!

By the way, David Ortiz hasn't been played the last three days cause he has the flu and his hamstring is tight. The Red Sox are 3-0 in those three games, thanks in part to to Kevin Youkilis has homered twice, including an inside the parker, STANDING UP! He has a 21 game hit streak, and at least 2 hits in nine consecutive games. The man can hit, field, and run, yet he's not on the All Star Ballot. Ridiculous!

4 comments:

Mrs. Utley???? said...

wait. that wasn't your first time going 'to' fenway. right?

JohnFromBoston said...

First time I was in the area this year... my first ever time to Fenway was probably '89 or '90. The Rocket beat someone...I think maybe the Tigers, but I could be wrong.

birdsonabat said...

Oh, I remember Scott Cooper alright...not that he ended up doing much. Flash in the pan.
That is pretty awesome that the McDonald's hasn't caught up at all...I love it when places seem to get stuck at a certain time. So weird.

Mrs. Utley???? said...

okay whew. i was really confused... cuz there was no way you hadn't been there before!!!