Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cubs vs White Sox, DKM strikes again

Having once spent what, 10 weeks or so in Chicago, I'll throw my hat into the debate.

If the White Sox were playing the Cubs, I'd root for the Cubs. This is mostly because it would be better for the Red Sox if the Cubs won.

But then again, I think I'd root for the Cubs over alot of teams. I feel I can identify with them. The Cubs main rivial is the Cardinals, who are the most successful team in National League History. They've played in the same stadium since World War 1. They have a "curse." They played in the 1918 World Series. The Cubs had a young Texan strike out 20 batters in a single game. They dominated the early part of the last century. They know heart break. They have a nice classic old uniform. I mean, they're more or less the Boston Red Sox of the National League.

In other news, the Dropkick Murphys are back in baseball. In July of 2004, the band rewrote Tessie, which Boston Baseball fans sang during the Red Sox first 5 World Series and the 1914 Boston Braves World Series (all Boston victories). The new DKM version has been played after every Red Sox victory (along with the song "Dirty Water"). Anyway, from now on when Jonathan Papelbon comes out of the right field bullpen, the Red Sox now play "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" off the Warrior's Code Album. For those of you who have seen the Departed, the song is also featured in that movie (about the Boston Irish Mob...).

No comments: