Thursday, May 10, 2007

Keep it up.

The Sox swept Toronto. They're now 7 games ahead of second place (Baltimore and New York are virtually tied...). I don't remember the last time the Red Sox had a seven game lead. It's early yet. Keep the pressure on. Roger's on the way and I don't think that's the last of the Yankees moves.

Baltimore's next. Pitching matchups are Burress vs Tavarez on Automatic Win Day, Trachsel vs Schilling and Guthrie vs Beckett. Aside from Trachsel, who seems like he's been around forever, I've never heard of any of the Oriole starters. Apparently this is Burress's second start and Guthrie (Jeremy, not Mark) has two career wins. Honestly, sweeping this series is a must, especially since it's at Fenway. The O's always seem to give the Red Sox trouble though...

In other news, ESPN is on in the background, and they're second guessing Grady Little. I don't know what happened, something about not playing at double play depth with Derek Lowe on the mound. One of the commentators said "Your forgetting this is Grady Little. None of his decisions make any sense. He throws logic out the window. We're is Pedro Martinez when you need him?"

Lay off Grady. He was an awesome manager. Honest , since that fateful day in October 2003, I've never changed my mind as to how I deal with that situation. I don't send Pedro out for the 8th. I was surprised he was back out there, but I wasn't shocked or outraged. I didn't start screaming at my TV like Senator Kerry allegidly did (with his pop corn, thinking of his favorite player, Manny Ortiz...) at the start of the 8th. But once he's in, he is the greatest pitcher in the planet, I don't pull him. I don't pull Pedro Martinez in the middle of an inning.

I also don't fire Grady Little either. He'll forever be the scapegoat. But he was a great manager.

No comments: