Monday, May 14, 2007

Complete Game

Diasuke pitched a complete game, allowing only 1 run in the series opener against the defending American League Champs. The best part was his reaction afterwards. He showed little to no emotion or excitement or anything. Just went to shake Varitek's hand. I mean, everyone else in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was pumped, but it just seemed like another day in the office for Matsuzaka. He expects to pitch that well everytime out.

It kind of reminded me of Pedro. I'm not saying Diasuke was as dominant as Pedro, cause he wasn't. But Pedro would pitch a complete game shut out, striking out 16, and only give up 1 hit and shrug it off like it were nothing. He was always cool and collective afterwards. "Yeah. So what? I'm Pedro Martinez. I'm suppose to pitch that well. In fact, I'm kinda mad about that one hit I allowed. Maybe next game I'll bean that guy..."

I like the confidence.

The game was actually really close. It was 3-1 going into the eighth, but the Sox broke it wide open in the home half. Julio Lugo hit a triple with the bases loaded and Youkilous followed with a base hit to knock Lugo in.

So yeah, all around a good night. Beat the defending Champs, got the first complete game of the year, offense put the game out of reach in the ninth. Plus, the Sox chased Robertson early. He only pitched till the fifth. The Sox bullpen's well rested for the remainder of the series. Can't say the same about Detriot.

Can't wait for game two.

No comments: