Thursday, April 26, 2007

You're probably getting sick of me posting...

But I just love baseball, and when no one's around to talk to about it, I turn to the blog and write.

So, Friday begins a three game series with the New York Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Here are my thoughts the night before.

-The Yankees come in on a six game losing streak, and at 8-12 are in last place in the American League East. The Red Sox are 14-7, good enough for first place. If the Red Sox can avoid the sweep, even take just 1 of three, they'll be in a good position, 4.5 games above the Yankees. Obviously, I'd like to see the Sox win the series, maybe even sweep the Yankees again, but I don't know how likely that is. The pitching matchups are Diasuke vs. Pettitte, Wakefield vs. Karstens and Tavarez vs Wong. Game one is clearly the marque matchup. Game two favors Boston (Wakefield is a Yankee killer), and game three favors New York. Prediction: whoever wins game 1 takes 2 of three.

-Rumors are flying about Clemens returning to New York. I doubt he will, because the Yankees are gonna make him travel with the team and stuff, but think about this: he's gonna have to make a decision soon. If...and this is a HUGE IF, Boston can take 2 of 3 or *gasp* 3 of 3, I can imagine the conversation "You say you're five/seven games under .500, and last place in the American League East?Well, thanks for the offer Boss, but I think I'll stay home, I mean, it's not you, it's me, I'm just getting too old..." I'm not saying he comes to Boston, but I'm saying he doesn't go to New York if the Red Sox win this series. If, however, the Yankees win this series, their stock skyrockets. I can imagine Roger thinking "They're getting healthy, they're competing with the best of them, all they need is me to win..." and signing on the dotted line.

No comments: