Saturday, April 21, 2007

I'd rather be lucky then good: Red Sox-Yankees Round 1 of 18*

The Red Sox wore Green today to honor Red Auerbauch, the man responsible for the 16-championships-in-28-years dynasty that was the Boston Celtics. That's cool. But it wasn't really Celtic green. It seemed lighter to me. Whatever. The real reason they wore the shirts were cause they knew this would be a nationally televised game and they want people around the country to go out and buy a green Red Sox jersey. More importantly, the Yankees are in town.

It wasn't pretty, and the Sox definately didn't deserve it, but they beat the Evil Empire Friday Night 7-6. I'm still not sure how the Yankees blew it. They were up 6-2 in the 8th and were in cruise control. Then the Sox scored to make it 6-3 and the Yankees went to Rivera. For various reasons, I had to leave the TV in the eight and was listening to it in a car radio. Some flood warning that kept coming up during every crutial part. Honestly, you'd hear "The pitch..." then the annoying beeping followed by static followed by the emergency broadcast system thingy followed by a flood warning for the Connecticut River." Then you'd hear "and it's a tie ball game! Can you believe it?" It was quite aggrivating, but every time they came back from it, the Red Sox had tacked on another run. The last time they did it, it took forever. They mentioned every single town in Connecticut that had a stupid flood watch till Saturday. Then it came back to a comerical. Then it was the top of the ninth and the Sox had a one run lead. Later, I found out Coco Crisp hit a triple to tie the game, and probably triple his average, and Alex Cora got a single to drive him in. Alex Cora of all people. He was only in cause the Sox pinch hit Wily Mo Pena for Dustin Pedroia and Wily Mo at second would probably be ugly.

The announcer started off by saying "Well, 7-6 Red Sox have the one run lead after a five run 8th" (YES!) "and Francona originally sent Synder back out to the mound to pitch" (WHAT?!??!?) "but he had second thoughts" (Thank God!) and now Hideki Okajima is just finishing up his warmup pitches." Huh? This didn't appear to be a good idea to me. I don't really know much about Okajima. He hadn't really pitched in an important situation yet, and this didn't seem like a good idea to me. I understand Papelbon worked alot the past two nights, but I mean, what about Donnelly? I'm almost reconsidering his worth as a setup man. I mean, why Okajima?

The flood warnings stopped so we heard all the ninth. Okajima got Jeter to ground out, then he walked Abreu. Earlier, my friends and I fought over whether or not to walk A-Rod to load the bases when Schilling was on the mound. Two of us said no, the other insisted on it. A-Rod deposited the ball into the Red Sox bullpen, so I guess he was right. But, do you walk A-Rod here to put the winning run on second? Especially if he's already hit two homers? And I mean, you can't really say A-Rod chokes. Firstly, the Red Sox have adopted Billy Bean's "Moneyball" theory. I realize Moneyball is a financial theory, but for lack of a better term I call their beliefs (clutch hitting doesn't exist, stolen base attempts=bad, bunts=bad) Moneyball. So they don't believe in choking. Secondly, A-Rod has had plenty of big hits this year.

Okajima pitches to him, and A-Rod pops up to the second baseman. This brings up Kevin Thompson, who pinch ran for Giambi with the Yankees up by 4 in the top of the eight. Okajima struck him out to obtain his first major league save. I didn't see the pitches, but I was impressed. He threw first pitch strikes to every batter he faced. Also, the announcers and the croud were pretty upset about a few of the "close calls" that went the Yankees' way, so I guess he was around the plate the whole time. Okajima is now tied with Donnelly for me reconsidering them as setup men. Okajima might be ahead. Anything you do against the Yankees counts exponentially more.

So, as I said, I watched a bit of the game before the eight, and the Yankees pretty much looked dominant. I'd hate to admit it, but top to bottom they have the superior lineup. Posada mysteriously left the game, no word was given as to why. But, if he's ok then how do you get anyone out? They're like the Indians from the late 90s. You have all stars everywhere. Damon, Jeter, Abreu, A-Rod, Giambi, Posada, Cano, Cabrera and then Mientkiewicz/Phelps I guess is the "easy out." Ridiculous.

So yeah, the Sox got lucky. Schilling was outpitched by Pettitte (I bet my family back home is pumped...I should have called). A-Rod exploded and had a monster game. Rivera was on the mound with a 3 run lead, and somehow, some way, the Red Sox won.

So I realize I've rambled for quite a while, but just one more thing. I heard alot of people saying the Red Sox have Rivera's number. I don't believe that for a second. It kills me to praise him or anyone on this team, but he is still the greatest closer of all time. I wouldn't be worried at all if I were a Yankee fan. I'd be plenty angry, but I wouldn't be worried. Unfortunately, Rivera still has a lot left in the tank and I'm not planning on getting use to seeing him walk off in defeat.

*-18 could be anywhere from 22-25...just saying.

No comments: