Monday, April 2, 2007

What happens when you leave early

It was an interesting opening day.

First, my condolences to my fellow bloggers. Rough starts for your teams.

Second, MLB.TV sucks hardcore. Apparently, New Concord, Ohio is in the Pittsburgh market and I cannot watch Pirates games on MLB.TV from here because of local black outs. Now, don't miss this: The Pirates game was not in any way available to me on TV. Whether there's some secret TV package I can obtain to watch it I do not know. But all I have is college cable. We get Indians and Reds and Cubs games. So MLB just hates me I guess. That's okay, because they won't be getting my money any more.

Oh well. I listened to the game on MLB Audio. At the middle of the eighth, I had to leave to pick up a friend who was stranded at Olive Garden. Zach Duke had given up 2 runs in 7 innings to the improved Astros. Very impressive, Zach!!!

Anyhow, I had resigned to the loss. This is fine. The Pirates do not have the offensive talent to put up runs against aces like Roy Oswalt (especially with Sanchez on the DL). I thought they played well.

So then, I get back and find out that with 2 outs in the 9th, Xavier Nady, who missed much of Spring Training with a stomach problem, hit a tying home run! Then, in the tenth, Bay hits the go-ahead home run and Torres earns his first save with a perfect half inning! Hooray! What a great start!

The only thing that concerns me is that we hit 3 home runs and got a total of 4 runs. This is the typical Pirates way, although hopefully when Freddy is back next week, we can end that kind of nonsense.

1 comment:

JohnFromBoston said...

I expected the Sox to win today. I might have to readjust my prediction to 93-70, and make the Pirates 70-93. Something tells me the Pirates and Red Sox will finish with mirror records. So far, that prediction is true.