Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Opening Day at America's Most Beloved Ball Park

That's what they call Fenway anyway... I personally think its overated, but maybe I'm just spoiled. I wouldn't mind a new ball park with roomy seats and without obstructed view. I'd also like a bigger capacity so they didn't rob you with ticket prices, but that's just me. The Red Sox could easily fill a 40,000-50,000 seat place every night. They're at 35,000 and in order to stay competitive they charge you $100 to sit in Left Field seats that anywhere else would be $7-$10. Yeah, I know its the Green Monster. But still, that means the seats are even further away than the $7 ones elsewhere. But, enough complaining for now...

As a result of the 2PM start and my 2:30 class, I missed the first five innings of the game. When I walked in, it was 13-1 and Beckett was on the mound in the sixth. He was blowing guys away too. All in all, he went 7 innings allowing one run and most importantly, I don't think he walked anyone. He also had a stretch where he retired 15 batters in a row or something. I'm pretty sure that streak ended only cause he came out. All in all an excellent start. It was pointed out that the Mariners are rusty cause they haven't played in about 6 days due to snow and stuff in Cleveland, but whatever. A win is a win, and the fact Beckett didn't walk anyone is extremely encouraging.

Oh yeah...Donnally got ejected. Basically, he and Jose Guillen had a verba confrontation after Donnelly struck Guillen out in the 8th. The benches and the bullpens cleared, but at first only Guillen was tossed...until the Donnelly drilled the next guy in the butt with a fastball. Red Sox Hall of Famer (which is different than MLB Hall of Famer-the Red Sox have their own Hall of Fame) Jerry Remy, a former second baseman and the current color commentater, said that the two must have a history of other incidents cause nothing happened to spark the incident. Announcer Don Orsillo then replied "According to records, that's the first time the two have faced each other in a major league baseball game, but they were teammates in Anaheim." It was pretty funny. One of my friends pointed out that was when Guillen got suspended for the postseason for saying and/or doing something stupid by the team...we couldn't remember what. Brilliant move, cause Guillen was awesome that year and the Red Sox ended up sweeping Anahiem on their way to a World Series Title. I wonder if Donnelly's still mad about that?

No comments: