Monday, October 29, 2007

Who is the Best Team in Major League Baseball?

Boston Red Sox
Seven Time World Series Champions
1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007


EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

"WELL I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER....OH- BOSTON YOUR MY HOME!!!!!!!!!"

"DON'T BLAME US IF WE EVER DOUBT YOU, YOU KNOW WE COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU-RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONLY ONLY"

This one was no where near as stressful as 2004. I remember hanging on every pitch in 2004, wondering who was gonna blow it. I remember "Ground Ball Back to Foulke" and expecting him to throw it into the first row of the seats. This one I didn't. I knew it was over tonight. I would have flipped out if the Cardinals pulled within 1 run in game 4 of '04, but I just got annoyed at the Rockies in the eight and delaying the inevitable. Really, Colorado had no business being on the same field as Boston. They are who I thought they were. A team that got hot at the right time and got lucky and played in the National League. And the Red Sox didn't let them off the hook. I don't have any great indepth analysis or anything right now. I might ramble on for a bit or I might stop the post here.

2007 World Champions. I really don't know what to say. There's no way to sum it up. It's definitely no where near as special as the 2004 Championship. But it's much better than any other year since 1985.

When Papelbon blew away Seth Smith, another guy I never heard of, two things happened. I screamed at the top of my lungs "HE GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and I noticed Varitek put the ball in his pocket. The Red Sox owners made a huge deal over the 2004 ball with Mientkiewicz. I hope they let Varitek have it. If they complain, I hope Varitek sells it on EBAY or something. Difference between 2004 and 2007: 2004-ground ball, I fall to my knees and almost have heart failure, hanging on Joe Bucks' every word (he sucks so much by the way, he keeps insisting Youk wasn't active in 2004. Why doesn't someone from Fox enlighten AND/or fire him? Note the stress on the AND...) 2007- up and walking back and forth excited, watching Papelbon be Papelbon and then yelling loud enough to block out Buck and McCaver before my baseball IQ dropped any lower.

My grandfather was born in 1915. The Red Sox won the 1915, 1916 and 1918 World Series in his life time. Then he turned 4 and they stopped. He died in May of 1987. The last World Series he ever saw was 1986 when the Red Sox blew a two run lead in game six in the tenth and a three run lead in game seven.

My grandmother was born in February of 1919. The Red Sox were defending World Champions. She died in November of 2003. The Red Sox won the very next World Series.

I had a friend I went to high school with who died in April of 2004. The Red Sox were gonna play in Texas that night, but it was rained out. It was very fitting, cause the last thing I wanted to do was watch a baseball game. He never got to see a Red Sox World Series Championship.

There are plenty of stories like that. Eddie Andleman is a talk show host around here who had his tombstone made up saying "Here lies Eddie Andelman. He never saw the Red Sox win a World Series." He's still alive, so I hope for his sake he wasn't watching in 2004 and didn't watch tonight. Otherwise, he'll need a new tombstone, and those are probably expensive.

As great as it is to be a fan of the World Series Champions, I've learned that baseball isn't everything. I never would have typed that before 2004. In 2004, my thoughts were about people who never got to see it. I guess now I am thinking about that too. But watching the game, my thoughts were along the same lines as Billy Chapel's in the movie For Love of the Game. He pitched a perfect game, and then the next day raced to an airport to meet his ex who was leaving him to take a job in London. He said something along the lines of "Last night should have been the best night of my life, but it wasn't because you weren't there to celebrate with me." I'm not saying it wasn't fun. But I am saying I would have enjoyed it A LOT more if I was in Amherst with my girlfriend Amanda, or if she were in Boston with me. She doesn't even reads this, so you know its true.

Boston Red Sox
Seven Time World Series Champions
1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

And counting...

1 comment:

Cale Putnam said...

"But I am saying I would have enjoyed it A LOT more if I was in Amherst with my girlfriend Amanda"

Whoa...I missed that...congrats doubly then!