Saturday, October 6, 2007

Game 2

So, the Red Sox had a 2-0 lead. The Angels were up and a runner was on second. and a ball was hit to left field. Manny Rameriz, hustling as are his ways, overran the ball. The run would have scored from second anyways. The damaging thing is that it turned it from a single into a double.

The Angels tacked on two more that inning, the last on a double to left by one of the 25, Orlando Cabrera. My mom and my girlfriend both were mad at Manny, and began taunting me cause I'm a big Manny defender. Rameriz couldn't have caught the Cabrera fly ball. It landed closer to Crisp than him. Some people just really hate him for some reason.

In the fifth inning, Manny came up to bat and appeared to pop out. But the ball carried into the stands. Angels catcher Jeff Mathis reached into the stands and made an excellent effort, but a fan caught it. A lot of people are comparing this to Bartman and Jeffry Maier. I don't really remember the Bartman thing, as to whether he reached out or Alou reached in. But this is nothing like Maier. Maier was a little punk who reached out over the playing field in right field
and took a Jeter pop up and made it into a homerun. Major League Rules say when fans reach onto the playing field like that, they are to be ejected. The New York Yankees, as always acting above the rules, instead gave him tickets behind the dugout for the rest of the playoffs. This kid in Boston had every right to the ball, as it was clear Mathis reached into the stands.

Anyway, there was one outs when this happened, and Manny drew a walk to load the bases. Lowell hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game up.

Later in the game, Rameriz made a spectacular catch on a ball the wind was blowing all over the place. He got turned around two or three times before picking it off right before it hit the ground. If anyone else makes that play, they are applauded and talk of a Gold Glove ensues for the next ten minutes. Because it was Manny, the announcers talk about how it proves Rameriz obviously isn't in the lineup for his glove and he got extremely lucky on a routine fly ball. P.S.- I never thought I'd hear worse announcers than the Buck/McCarver or Miller/Morgan combos. Then TBS/TNT started broadcasting games. Rumor has it Don Orsillo is doing one of the National League series. Why can't he do the Red Sox? He actually has talent.

Anyway, game tied at 3 in the bottom of the ninth. Lugo leads off with a single. "Excellent," I proclaim, "now Manny will send us home happy." My mother and my girlfriend shoot me looks of disgust and then look at each other rolling their eyes. Pedroia's at the plate. Sox hit and run, which is a good thing cause its a ground ball that otherwise would have been a double play. 1 out, Lugo on second. Youkilis comes to the plate and the so called Greek god of walks strikes out. Nevermind the fact he's not a god...he's not even Greek. That brings David Ortiz up. I predict loudly that Ortiz won't come through, but Manny will bail him out. The aforementioned company doesn't like this prediction. The Angels intentionally walk Ortiz. "Fools!" I proclaim, "Why would anyone want to face Manny with runners in scoring position?" My mother tells me it's cause Manny's not that good and the Angels know they can get him out. First pitch, ball low and away. Second pitch, a swing like only Manny can put on the ball, and immediately my hands shoot up into the air. "I told you so!" I proclaim. I thought of proclaiming instead "I hate to say I told you so" but such a proclamation would have been false. I thoroughly enjoyed proclaiming it.

My mom, watching the Red Sox celebrate, said "Why would they ever wanna pitch to Manny in that situation?" I don't know Mom. I don't know.

P.S.- The Yankees are down 0-2 with Clemens on the mound. I really really really hope he vows to "Pitch like a warrior." There's a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie out. Wonder if he feels like advertising for them...

1 comment:

Cale Putnam said...

Thoughts on the bugs which affected the Yankees?