Thursday, October 25, 2007

Game 1

Firstly. Josh Beckett is the greatest postseason pitcher in Red Sox history. That is an undeniable fact. He is arguably the greatest postseason pitcher period. Another start or two and that'll be undenable fact...

Secondly, I can't say I expected the Red Sox to demonlish the Rockies like that. On the other hand, I can't really say I'm surprised either.

I overheard a Rockies fan on the Boston College Shuttle (last week there were Cleveland fans all over campus. Now, besides the three or four in the discussion section I teach they've all dissapeared. Since yesterday I've seen 2 Rockies fans. Where do these people come from? Where do they vanish off to afterwards?) complaining about how Beckett threw nothing but fastballs for four innings and Colorado was so rusty they couldn't catch up. I mention this because it's an excellent point to bring up. Rust had to be a factor. Major Leaguers should be able to catch up to any fastball if they see it over and over again a time and a half through the lineup. Therefore, I am willing to be the rest of the series will be more competitive.

It's interesting though. Game 1 of the ALCS was a blowout too. While it's nice to give Beckett run support, he really doesn't need to much of it. It would have been nice to save that type of production for whoever is pitching game 4 (Lestor?). But, whatever. A win is a win.

I was thinking about it. I know Colorado might win this World Series, but how good are they really? I think the Red Sox and Yankees are better than them. The Rockies are definately better than Baltimore and Tampa Bay. What about the Blue Jays? I give the edge to Toronto, especially if B.J. Ryan is healthy. The Rockies a 4th place team in the AL East. I think Cleveland and Detroit are better, and probably Minnesota, especially if Liriano is healthy. Colorado would be a 3rd or 4th place team in the AL Central. In the AL West, I think I'd go with the Angels as a better team. Seattle-Colorado is a toss up. Pitching to the Mariners, offense to the Rockies. I give the edge to pitching, so the Rockies are a 3rd place team in the AL West.

Regardless, the Rockies are a middle of the road team that finishes about 10 games out of the wild card in the AL, and they might win the World Series. Only in America! Especially now that the Expos don't exist...

Game 2 is tonight. Schilling is on the mound for what might be his last start as a member of the Boston Red Sox. Let's Go Boston!

No comments: