Monday, October 22, 2007

Game 7

So what team lost the 2007 ALCS? Doesn't matter. They're irrelevant.

I can't believe it. Down 3-1 in the series, come back and beat two Cy Young Candidates to force game seven. Then jump out to an early 3 run lead, but almost blow it.

Up by one in the 7th, Julio Lugo drops an easy pop up, letting the game tying run get to second base. But Cleveland choked. Base hit to left field that easily could have scored Loftin, and they held him. Next batter grounds into a double play to end the inning, lead still intact. Excellent! I truly believe that wouldn't have happened before 2004. They would have been worried about ghosts and would have collapsed, fallen apart just like the Cubs after Bartmen. The ground ball would have went right past Lowell just like it did Rameriz in 2003. But Lowell threw it to Pedroia who threw it to Youk to end the inning.

That brings us to the bottom of the 7th and reason number 2 why John shouldn't manage the Red Sox: Dustin Pedroia up with a runner on third, up by one run and I think there's one out. I say aloud "I'd suicide squeeze here." This is very unusual for me. I am almost always against bunts. By almost always, I mean every time besides tonight when I called for a suicide squeeze. First pitch is a strike. "You're not gonna squeeze with one strike. That's stupid. Actually, no one's expecting it. Yeah, whatever. Suicide squeeze!" Dustin Pedroia swung away against my wishes and deposited the ball into the Green Monster seats. As I've stated before, what do I know?

What do I know? I know Boston exploded for 6 runs in the 8th. I know Coco Crisp made a spectacular catch to end the game. Most importantly, I know that the Boston Red Sox are going to the 2007 World Series to play the Colorado Rockies.

1 comment:

Mrs. Utley???? said...

yeah... congrats!

although... i have to say that i feel bad for lofton. he got screwed in game 7. twice.

looking forward to your continued commentary of the series!!