Monday, October 8, 2007

The Greatest 10 Word Phrase in the English Language

New York has STILL not won a championship this millennium.

Let's review. The millennium started January 1, 2001. Below is a team by team breakdown of championships won by New York teams in the four major sport teams since then.

New York Yankees- 0 championships
New York Mets- 0 championships
New York Jets- 0 championships
New York Giants- 0 championships
Buffalo Bills- 0 championships
New York Knicks- 0 championships
New York Rangers- 0 championships
New York Islanders- 0 championships
Buffalo Sabers- 0 championships

I'm pretty sure the Nets are moving to Brooklyn or something in the next few years, so let's look at them too.
Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets- 0 championships

So yeah, 9, maybe 10 teams. 0 championships this millennium. I could look at New England, which has 4 teams and 4 championships (that's less than half the teams, more than infinitely times more championships) this millennium. But I won't.

Anyway, in more relevant news (oh...he just said New York and it's sports teams are irrelevant...oh!!!), it's the Cleveland Indians vs. the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. Where is David Williams? I think he should be a guest blogger for this series.

Cleveland's good. Especially their pitching. I guess no matter who you get in the ALCS it's gonna be tough, but this seems a little too tough. I don't like how they won tonight and didn't have to use Sabathia in game 5. Now it'll probably be Sabathia vs Beckett, Carmona vs Diasuke, Westbrook vs Schilling and Byrd vs Wakefield/Lestor. I think Beckett can beat anyone, so it would have been nice if he took out Carmona, leaving Diasuke vs Westbrook and Schilling vs Byrd (advantage Diasuke/Schilling). True, Sabathia would then kill Wakefield/Lestor, but then you're up 3-1 with Beckett on the hill. Can't complain about that.

It might be worthwhile to screw around so something like that happens. I like Beckett vs anyone. I'll take my chances. I realize it's not automatic, but I'm counting any day he pitches as a win. Throw him game one. Pitch Wakefield game two, and if he loses to Carmona, big deal. So it's 1-1. Diasuke could beat Westbrook and Schilling Byrd, so it's 3-1 with Beckett vs Sabathia again. I'm still taking Beckett.

I don't like the Indians. I never did. I use to hate Manny Rameriz. Oh, I would fear him. He was so good he'd somehow knock in the guy on the on deck circle. He hasn't done that yet as a Red Sox, but I seem to recall it quite a few times when he was with Cleveland. The Indians and Red Sox have met up in the playoffs three times. In '95, the Indians swept Boston. In '98, I think it was 3 games to 1 Cleveland. In '99, the Red Sox had what was up to that point the greatest comeback ever, winning game 5 and the series after being down 0-2. In game five, Indian Manager Mike Hargrove intentionally walked Nomar Garciaparra twice to face Troy O'Leary, a true Irish Man. Both times, O'Leary homered. One was a three run shot, the other a grand slam. Mike Hargrove was fired afterwards. Pedro Martinez came out of the bullpen in the fourth and pitch 6 perfect innings. It was glorious. Game 5 of the 1999 ALDS might be my favorite game ever.

1948 was the last time Cleveland won a World Series. That year, they tied the Red Sox for the AL Pennant, and a 1 game tie breaker was played at Fenway Park. Clearly, the Indians won, and went on to beat the Boston Braves. So, yeah. all the more reason to not like Cleveland. I'd say it's about time to get some revenge.

P.S.- Yesterday, the New England Patriots beat the Cleveland Browns. To all our loyal Cleveland readers, Belichick says "Hi."

No comments: