Thursday, June 5, 2008

Woes

I have a big problem.

One of our family friends [Kevin Mench] plays for the Toronto Blue Jays. Now... normally, I cheer for his team as I did with both the Rangers and the Brewers. Texas was a bit of a stretch for me since I generally don't like any sports teams that come out of Texas or Florida. But I survived.

The major conflict here is that Scott Rolen also plays for the Jays. I loathe Scott Rolen and spent the last however many years disliking the Cards [sorry Ken] because he was in St. Louis. Why do I loathe him so much? Simple. He used to play for the Phillies... and wanted to leave badly enough that he started playing poorly so he'd get traded. And all of Philadelphia hates him for it.

It suddenly dawned on me yesterday morning that Kevin and Rolen are on the same team. Why I didn't realize that before... the world will never know.

So... do I go against all of my natural Rolen-loathing instincts and root for the Jays [but not Rolen] for Kevin's sake? [And let's be honest... it'd be for my sake and my family's sake as well.] Or... do I just root for Kevin to do well... but maintain my hope that any team Rolen plays for loses horribly... therefore spiting that arrogant cuss of a man.

Perhaps I should also include in this decision the fact that the Jays are in the same division as the O's... my "tied for second" team. [Phillies... obviously #1. Tigers and O's... tied for #2.]

It seems most logical to be moderately indifferent toward the Jays.... and just hope that Rolen blows and Kevin's awesome. And hope that the Jays end the season below the O's.

I'm having a similar conflict over the NBA Finals. I don't like the Lakers or Phil Jackson... but I've grown weary of Boston teams winning and/or almost winning. [Sorry John.] Alas.... I think I have to root for the Celtics.

See how hard it is for a woman to be a sports fan?!? It becomes soooooooo emotional. But... maybe that's what makes it so beautiful for a woman to love sports. We bring our femininity into it... and I think that's awesome. So don't judge. : )

1 comment:

JohnFromBoston said...

Beat L.A.!

Dilemma solved.