Friday, June 6, 2008

Coco vs Tampa Bay

First, I'd like to point out that the DEVIL rays are a bunch of hooligans and rapscallions. Always have been, always will be. Always throw at Red Sox, and always charge the mound. One even charged the mound in a game Pedro took a no hitter into the ninth. Granted, he was the first hitter of the game, but still. Fools.

Anyway, as Laura said in the comments of my last post, Coco got beaned right in the leg in the second inning with the Sox up 3-1. He took a step towards first base, looked out to the mound, threw his helmet off and charged. DEVIL ray starter, James Sheilds (who earlier beaned Pedrioa), came off the mound took such a powerful swing at it...and just like every other DEVIL ray in history, whiffed. They can't hit anything. Must be the uniform. Crisp ducked and then landed a small punch before being tackled to Navaro. Before I post the link, I'll ask you watch it and look at the fight in it's entirety first, then watch the replays. Crisp throws one punch. See anyone else in the red and white throwing any? Now, Sheilds, understandably throws a punch. Those should be the only two. But look at the replays when they show Crisp up close. Watch how Gomes punches once, twice, three times... you'll lose count. And he's such a pansy about it. Navaro's on top of Crisp holding him down and Gomes is just decking him with punch after punch. I HATE GOMES. Watch Iwamura. He might be pissed still about last night, but he throws a punch or two on Crisp until someone (can't tell who...I think it's Beckett) in a Red Sox jacket pulls him off. Carl Crawford gets in on the action. As Crisp is held by Navaro, being walloped by Gomez and sucker punched by Iwamura, Crawford starts punching Crisp in the head and continues until Jacoby Ellsbury (46) pulls him off. Not one Red Sox besides Crisp throws a blow. Watch Lugo (23 wearing the batting helmet) all over the pile trying to make peace. Anyway, now that I've lectured you, here it is.

Part of me is happy no Red Sox got invovled. Less suspensions. A bigger part of me is disappointed, especially considering how many "men" ganged up on Coco.

I counted 9 punches Gomes threw. One hit Crawford. Stupid DEVIL rays can't hit anything they're suppose to. I count 1 by Iwamura, who was winding up for a second when he was dragged off. I count at least 6 by Crawford, several of which are as Ellsbury's dragging him away. Keep in mind, because players are running infront of cameras and the piles get big, you can't see every punch thrown. I can only imagine how many Gomes threw. Coco said they were scratching at him and pulling his hair. Sounds like a bunch of third grade girls to me.

Last year, I pleaded with the Red Sox to bean A-Rod. I think it's blatantly obvious that this year, Johnny Gomes, Iwamura, and Carl Crawford all have to get it. Iwamura and Crawford got hit tonight. I honestly don't recall Crawford's cause I stepped out for a while. Iwamura was barely grazed on his protective wrist pad on a 3-2 pitch. Doesn't count for retaliation. I'm willing to bet neither did Crawford's, since Lester wasn't ejected after both sides had been warned. I might hit Gomes a few times. I'm really pissed at him. But don't be like the foolish DEVIL rays. They only thing they can do right is lose. Have your starting pitcher throw at someone and get ejected in the second inning in an important game.

No. Wait till your up by 10 runs. This is the DEVIL rays. It's bound to happen, sooner rather than later. Then hit all three in a row. I wouldn't be surprised if the DEVIL rays stranded the bases loaded in that situation.

I don't buy into Tampa Bay. I still doubt they'll finish over .500, never mind make the playoffs. Joe, if the Pirates can put together a winning season anytime in the next 10 years, don't worry about that record. Tampa Bay will surpass the Pirates.

Anyway, a lot happened this game. Ellsbury got hurt making a great catch, Manny got hurt taking a pitch, Manny and Youkilis had a fight in the dugout. Why? Shrug. No one's talking about it. Crazy game. The Red Sox won though, but I guess I don't even really have to mention that, considering who they were playing.

6 comments:

Cale Putnam said...

Coco needs to see Messers. Lucic and Bradley from the local ice hockey team to learn how to defend himself. Ducking a punch like that can lead to more effective results if utilized properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2XYiaY0SpM

Cale Putnam said...

Bradley?!? I meant Thornton...Bradley was the Capital Looch wailed on (no freaking edit button?)

birdsonabat said...

Sorry, John, but Coco deserved most of that. For one, being the instigator of the fight by charging the mound, and two, he started this whole thing by taking offense at a play he screwrd up on in the first place. Sliding head first on a steal? Well, no wonder you jammed your hand. Blocking off the bag isn't done much, but it hardly consitutes a grevious attack by Bruntlett.

And then taking it out on Iwamura? That is just dumb. He should have expected to get hit because he deseved it for coming in on a steal with spikes up like that. This wasn't breaking up a double play, mind you. He was going in to hurt him. Coco should have taken getting hit like a man. Instead he acted like the one wronged.

I'll give you that the gang fight was a bit much, but Coco did pretty much piss off the whole Rays team going after Iwamura, an innocent player...and then charged the mound, which started this anyway.
Along with that, Shields would not have been tossed just for hitting him, so it wasn't foolish move in that sense. It didn't help them get out of an already bad inning though.

All in all it was pretty entertaining. I understand getting upset over your guys getting beat on though. But let's be honest, he kind of deserved it.

JohnFromBoston said...

I still don't see anything wrong with Crisp's slide. As I said earlier, it was a good hard slide. I don't see his "spikes up" or anything, and I still think he's safe. Watch the replay. His front foot is on the ground the whole time. If by "spikes up" you mean feet first, then you can't have it both ways, saying he screwed up by sliding head first once saying he was dumb going feet first second.

Did he slide hard? Yes. Was it a cheap shot? No. Did I think Tampa Bay would or even should retaliate? No and nope. Was I disappointed Crisp charged? Not really.

JohnFromBoston said...

That last comment sounded harsher than I intended. Sorry about that.

I were a Devil Ray fan, I'd be happy about Gomes, Iwamura and Crawford did. I'd also be outnumbered at my home ball park night in and night out, but I digress.

Taking off my Boston tinted glasses for a second, I believe that teammates should stick up for one another.

However, as a fan, I'm gonna have to support my troops. That's why I'm defending Coco on this, and why I'm defending the Red Sox (sans Casey) for not throwing punches at Tampa Bay. It's also why I'd defend Casey for throwing a punch if that was questioned.

birdsonabat said...

Ok, using "spikes up" wasn't exactly accurate. Poor word choice. But I do think his slide was intentionally late and aimed at Iwamura in order to collide with him. Which is not just a good hard slide for stealing a base. It may be for breaking up a double play, but he was out to go into the fielder, not get safely into the base. And whether he was safe or not is not really the issue.

After seeing a couple games in Tampa, you're right, it is weird to have as many visiting fans as home fans so often. Or have many of the concession areas closed down...weird.