Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Manny Rameriz, David Ortiz, Barry Bonds

I just got back from Ohio and Joe's wedding. It was a really good time, though I foolishly forgot my keys along with a few other items...

Lots happened when I was away on the Red Sox front. Manny celebrated Joe's wedding by hitting career home run number 500. The next day he hit number 501. Today, 502. I had a feeling he'd go on a rampage as soon as he got 500 out of the way.

Unfortunately, the Red Sox will be without David Ortiz for at least a month, and perhaps the rest of the season. Here's the video of him getting hurt. I don't really see what happened, but the possibility of losing him for the year begs the question. Who can replace Ortiz?

I thought about how it's Theo's job...nay, moral obligation, to get someone. Citizens of Boston are paying way too much for tickets to not replace him. But I'm a fan of the Ellsburys and Lesters and Papelbons of the world...so I don't want to ruin the farm system. The first name that popped into my head, and granted I'm a bit tired, was Barry Bonds.

Think about it. Who better to replace an excellent left handed hitter who can't play the field than an excellent left handed hitter who can't play the field.

There are two drawbacks. First, from what I hear is he's a complete total jerk. I'm not so worried about that. Winning seems to fix that. Just ask the Cincinnati Bengals about Corey Dillion and the Oakland Raiders about Randy Moss. Then ask the New England Patriots about the same two.

The bigger problem is the mutual hatred between Barry Bonds and the city of Boston. And no, this has nothing to do with steroids. It has to do with the fact Bonds is a complete total ignorant imbecile, and the first time the Sox played the Giants, Bonds said the following

"Boston is too racist for me. I couldn't play there. That's been going on ever
since my dad was playing baseball. I can't play like that. That's not for me, brother."
When the reporter countered that the racial climate has changed in Boston, Bonds
responded, "It ain't changing. It ain't changing nowhere."

That was taken from here. However, as far as I know, Bonds wants to play, and nobody seems to want him. He might very well take an incentive laden contract. Especially if it's the only offer on the table. Even if it costs a bunch to get him, who cares? There's no salary cap and the Red Sox make an obscene amount of money. This isn't the Kansas City Royals. Theo can afford to be wrong, and in my opinion, owes it to the Boston fans to at least call Bonds' agent.

And yes, I think Bonds would be booed by the home crowd at Fenway. That is, until he hits his first home run...

This would be the lineup:
Ellsbury, CF
Pedroia, 2B
Rameriz, LF (Neither Manny nor David likes to hit cleanup...)
Bonds, DH
Lowell, 3B
Youkilis, 1B
Drew, RF
Varitek, C
Lugo, SS

P.S.-The author in the above link actually agrees with Barry, and then goes on to supply all sorts of "evidence." He forgets to mention Bonds admitted to never once stepping foot in Boston, and neglects to mention if he's ever been here himself. I won't refute everything he said, cause yeah, stuff that happened is horrible. I won't mention how the St. Louis Hawks refused to draft Bill Russell based on race. I won't mention how Red Auerbach, often accused of being a racist himself, traded for the draft pick to get Russell. Or how Auerbach was the first coach to start five black players. Or even mention how he was the first to hire a black head coach in any sport. I won't even mention how the Bruins were the first NHL team to have a black player. Neither will anyone else, as it doesn't work very well with Boston's racist reputation. But I will comment on his "Chicago and New York" thing. I get a little upset when people root for New York over Boston cause of race. The Yankees were pretty white themselves, also being the one of the last teams to integrate. If race is your reason for hating the Red Sox, so be it. But don't be an ignorant fool about it. Root for the Indians or Orioles in the AL. Cleveland was first in the AL to have a black player (and first in the AL to have a black pitcher). Baltimore, on the other hand, was second and has a less offensive name.

6 comments:

birdsonabat said...

I have wondered several times this year if the Cardinals would be better off picking up Bonds and figuring out somewhere to play him (is Skip Schumaker so irreplaceable?) since he still gets on base practically half of the time and is always a threat to go deep. And having someone in front of or behind Albert would be huge. I doubt the Red Sox are really going to go that route, but it will be even more important if Ortiz has to have surgery. They can do without him for a month, but not the year.

I also doubt Boston is really a racist city any more than many others. I notice you did not get around to mentioning that Boston was the last team to integrate (Pumpsie Green) even if you may have hinted at it...for the record.

Mrs. Utley???? said...

i just can't believe that either of you would actually want to cheer for bonds.

birdsonabat said...

I think we just see what his skill could bring to an offense. He is a deplorable individual, but man can he play baseball. With or without steroids, by the way. And I would take any number of former steroid users that could help my club. Sad, maybe. But it is just so prevalent anymore.

St. Louis fans really turned on McGwire, however, after he testified. So, I don't know how the reaction would be.

JohnFromBoston said...

Major League Baseball is about winning. If Barry Bonds helped the Red Sox win ball games, I would stand and applaud, just as I use to cheer for Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco, Kent Mercker, Mike Lansing, Mike Stanton, Mo Vaughn, Jay Gibbons,and Paxton Crawford.

If he cost the Red Sox games, I'd boo him just like I use to Eric Gagne.

Steroids are definitely bad for you, but it's not like committing murder or assault or rape. I mean, if you think about it, taking steroids is better than drinking and driving, cause at least your only hurting yourself. That's the libertarian in me speaking.

Mrs. Utley???? said...

it's more of the "deplorable individual" part about bonds that i wouldn't want to cheer for. of course steroids are rampant in pro sports... but there's a difference btwn those who are caught and admit to it... and players like bonds or clemens who vehemently deny their use... even though we all know they've done it.

but really... for me it comes down to character and likeability. and as a woman, i think it's okay for me to care about things like that. :)

though... i'll admit that my feelings for pat burrell have changed based on his offensive turn-around. in his early years as a phillie... i was obsessed with him. cuz... i mean... look at the guy. beautiful. then... i stood two feet from him as he shoved kids out of the way and refused to sign their baseballs and programs after losing to the orioles at camden yards. i was no longer a fan. this was compounded by his multi-year slump. i think the size of his head has decreased and while he's still the slowest lug on the team, he's getting significant at bats. i don't love him... but i'm glad he's a part of the team. all that to say... if bonds were to join my team... i'm sure i'd learn to appreciate what he had to offer... eventually. but he'd have to do a LOT of great stuff to earn any good will from me.

ps... i'm thinking about this partially in terms of terrell owens, too. i hated the guy... wrestled with the idea of cheering for him in philly but finally gave in... and then look what he did. most of the time... deplorable individuals don't change.

JohnFromBoston said...

One last thing about race. I don't think the Red Sox should be the reason people look at the city as a whole as racist. I have no problem with people calling the Yawkeys racist. It's obvious they were.

If we're gonna hold a city to its baseball teams, at least give me the Boston Braves, who were fifth overall to integrate.