Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wahoo!!

The Phillies did it!! They made it past the first round of the playoffs by beating the Brewers this afternoon.

First, I must say that I'm incredibly proud of them. The pitching was light's out... even if the offense didn't make a huge stand.

Second, I didn't think they'd get knocked out in the first round this year. Course, I didn't think that against the Rockies last year, either... but the Rocks at the time were hot, so I figured it'd be tough. The Brewers, however, got into the playoffs cuz they were lucky.

Third, luck or not, I'm SO GLAD the Mets were eliminated... giving them another winter to miserably think about yet another collapse. To be fair, though, their bullpen is a disaster. You can't win games regardless of your starting pitchers and offense if your pen is more likely than anywhere else to blow leads. Either way... they're at home. Sulking. And the Phillies are still playing... for now.

Fourth, I'm not sure how I feel going into a new series with the Dodgers. Are they really as good as they looked this week against the Cubs? Or did the Cubs just fall flat on their faces yet again, making the Dodgers look unbeatable? It'll be a challenge either way.

Fifth, if the Phillies are to keep advancing... they need their bats to heat up. Utley, Howard, Rollins, and Burrell need to wake up. Thank goodness for sexy Werth and the Flying Hawaiian!!

I obviously hope they end up in the world series and put to rest talking about the Game 6 walk-off 3-run homer by Joe Carter vs. Mitch Williams. I'm pretty sure I see a replay of that home run at least once a season... and I'd like to replace it with something new. Like a trophy and scenes of Brad Lidge getting the last out of the game. That sort of thing.

Here are my predictions:

Phils over Dodgers

Red Sox over Angels

Rays over White Sox

Rays over Red Sox

Phillies over Rays

Now... who knows what will really happen. I don't think the Angels or the White Sox can come back to win their respective series. I'd like to see the Rays advance because I'm tired of the Red Sox winning [sorry, John]. And I can't pick against the Phillies... so there you have it.

If I weren't a Phillies fan, I'd pick the American League, no matter who got the bid. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out that way!

2 comments:

JohnFromBoston said...

The only thing keeping me from liking the Dodgers is Joe Torre.

If the Red Sox are eliminated, I'll bring out the old number 24 jersey. I'm seriously considering doing it anyway, even for a Boston -LA World Series...which I'm currently rooting for.

thempirates said...

If it's Phillies-Rays, executives at FOX will cry.