Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cheering for Bay

The Rays are one of the best baseball stories I've ever seen; it's very exciting that they're winning, especially for a small-market fan like me.

However, I am cheering very hard for the Red Sox. The reason is not just because I said I would, but because I have found myself really, REALLY wanting Jason Bay to win a world series. No other outcome would make me happier.

I think I underestimated how much I like Jason Bay, because I have been cheering for him and his team like crazy since the trade.

As for Manny? In my opinion, apart from the personalities, it was a good baseball trade for Boston. Bay has played about the same for Boston (.293/.370/.527) as Manny played for them this year (.299/.398/.529). There is no evidence that Manny's outrageous numbers in L.A. were going to show up in Boston, especially with the problems he was causing, whether they were planned by himself or Boras.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox gave up two very ordinary prospects and got a guy who's under a super cheap contract for next year and who could be re-signed and playing at his current level for 4-6 more years. Manny would be gone at the end of this year.

Besides all that, I like Bay because he's a smart guy who knows the game. He approaches the game in a way that will give him the maximum possible success.

Go Sox!

No comments: