Friday, October 17, 2008

I don't know anymore

I watched game 5 at Jose's house. Funny story. He has cable but no TV. I have a TV but no cable, so for the entire month of October my television's been at his house. We both thought the Rays were American League Champions last night. I was complaining about Manny not being there, couting down the defensive outs Tampa needed. Jose was complaining about Varitek being worthless and about Ortiz not bunting down the third base line even though he was 1 for the series and Tampa's third baseman was playing within an arm's reach of secondbase the entire time. He also began wondering about offseason moves, getting rid of Varitek, Timlin and Byrd. We disagreed about Wakefield. I said he's done, Jose said he's too valuable as a fifth starter. I guess when you put the 5th starter label on him he still has value, but that's besides the point. Around this time Tampa score two runs off Papelbon to make it 7-0. They were inherited runners so they don't count against his ERA. But that doesn't matter. They still got to Papelbon. I was debating going home, cause I have lots of work I could be doing. But I stuck it out, figuring it'd be the last I saw the Sox till 2009.

In the home half of the 7th seventh Lowrie hit a fly ball we thought was gone but instead hit off the wall in right. We agreed it was irrelevant, though it would have been nice to get rid of the shut out. Down 7-0 in the seventh inning to a team that has beaten you badly in your own ball park 2 nights in a row, when your entire offense is more or less in a slump, you don't usually come back. Then they came back to tie it. And J.D. Drew, who had a monster game 6 against Cleveland last year, won the game in the 9th on a single. He also hit a two run homer in the comeback.

Beckett's going in game 6. I'm against this. I'd have Lester pitch 6 and then the entire team in 7. Beckett's been mediocre to put it nicely, so I have a feeling he's gonna need all the help he can get. But then what do I know? I thought this series was over when Tampa Bay took a 2 run lead before a defensive out had been recorded.

No comments: