Wednesday, October 1, 2008

ALDS Game 1 Boston vs LA-ANA

11:29 PM- So, maybe I'll try to live blog during this game to make up for my silence..  I'm watching it at my friend Jose's house.  Jed Lowrie made an error in the bottom of the 3rd with two outs and a runner on first.  The very next hitter was Tori Hunter, who got a base hit to drive in the inaugural run of the series.  I said it about Graffino and I'll say it about Lowrie.  He's so lucky the Red Sox have won a World Series in recent memory, otherwise he'd be hated by an entire region forever because of that.


11:46-  Jason Bay just hit a two run homer.  I've been badmouthing him a bit, saying I wasn't too impressed with him in the field.  I thought he could have caught a few line drives if he tried instead of playing it safe.  I was getting ready to tell Jose (who hates Manny) that Manny would have hit a two run homer here the take the lead.  Before  I could get it out, Bay hit his own jack and Jose said to me "What have you got to say about Manny now?"  My response?  "Manny would have hit it 10 rows further."  Jose was right when he shot back "Doesn't matter how far it went."  

Way to go Jason.  Lowrie still owes me.

12:50AM-  Vladimir Guerrero just made the second worst base running mistake I've seen in a Major League Playoff game.  He was on first with one out.  A popup was hit between Youkilis and J.D. Drew.  As Youk ran out and made an excellent sliding attempt at it, Guerrero was 3/4 of the way to second.  If Youkilis catches it, he's doubled off as Masterson's covering first.  Fortunately for Guerrero, the ball drops in.  Unfortunately for Guerrero, he decides to take off for third.  Youkilis stood up and threw to Lowell and gunned Guerrero by 15 ft.  Still 2-1 Sox in the top of the 9th.

12:58-  Ellsbury hits a single to drive in Lowrie (who still owes me).  3-1 Sox.  I'd take Bay out after this half inning, have Crisp play center and Ellsbury play left.  As I type this, Ellsbury just stole second (for the second time tonight) to get himself into scoring position.

1:05-  Ortiz singles to score Ellsbury.  The announcers, whoever they are, state Ortiz now has a 12 game ALDS hit streak.  Let's see...1 in 2008, 3 in'07, 3 in '05, 3 in '04 and 2 in '03.  I guess that means Game 3 in the 2003 ALDS against Oakland (the Trot Nixon Game), was the last time Ortiz was hitless.

1:21- Game over.  Lester the win, Papelbon the save, Lackey the loss.  

Boston leads the series 1-0.

No comments: