Monday, May 12, 2008

Saved!

That's how I feel since Izzy was taken out of the closer role a couple days ago. He has looked pretty bad for awhile now and I (along with Cards fans everywhere) haven't felt confident in him to close out games for some time...I'm not sure I have ever really considered him an elite, shut 'em down closer, actually. I feel bad for him, especially after some of his comments about being embarassed and "pitching like a second grader". But I am also glad he is not closing right now.

Even in the last week or so there were 3 or 4 games they could have won that were coughed up by the bullpen, mostly Izzy. I know that a closer won't pitch well all the time and is going to blow some saves once in awhile (you realize how incredible Gagne's streak was a few years ago?) but how often is acceptable?

This year in the NL Central, which is what I hear about the most, there have been all kinds of closer problems, from Izzy to Gagne to Kerry Wood. I think Gagne and Izzy must have some kind of contest going to see who can blow more games...and they were both taken out of the closer role a couple days ago, so maybe they both won. Still, I wonder what is a typical save percentage for closers? (I've heard around 85-90% for the "good" ones). And how much impact does a closer have on the season...as opposed to, say, an 8th inning guy or a typical setup guy...or compared to an "average replacement closer"?

I think it is tough to gauge how good a closer is sometimes. We tend to remember the meltdown/blown save more and not notice the "easy" ones as much, for one. Two, the save is only so useful. I mean, the Rangers' pitcher got a save in that 30-3 victory last year. How quality was that save? And you can come in with a three run lead and give up two runs and strand 'em full and still get a save...that is just dumb. And if you are pitching for a team that doesn't present many save situations (because they are so good or so bad), maybe that doesn't look as good. If the closer is always coming in with a one run lead that is a lot different than those guys that come in with two or three run leads a lot and get saves. I'm sure some sabermetrician has figured this out somewhere, but I'd like to see it. I don't really need those numbers to tell me Izzy has hit the "suck" button this year, though.

1 comment:

JohnFromBoston said...

It's interesting you bring up the different types of saves. Another thing I've heard discussed is should the best reliever be saved for the ninth? Often times middle relievers have to get more important outs, like in the seventh inning with runners on 2nd and 3rd in a 1 run ball game. Isn't that harder then starting the ninth when up by three? Wouldn't you want your best reliever in the more difficult situation?