Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nightly Web Gems

So, I don't know if you all get a chance to watch Sportscenter/Baseball Tonight on a regular basis, but in case you have missed this, Rick Ankiel is turning into a heck of a centerfielder. He has been great--diving for balls, making sick throws to nail runners at third, and then his latest tonight robbing Adam LaRoche of a homerun (sorry Joe). I am not surprised by this anymore..you know, the whole "wow, this guy used to be a pitcher?" thing...but it is still pretty great to watch.
It used to be Jimmy Edmonds on Sportscenter every night. Now Rick is starting to show up. He has been a great replacement for Edmonds, which are big shoes to fill in center.

Speaking of Edmonds...

The Cubs signed him today. What?
I know they are looking for a left-handed bat that can play center, but is he really the answer? At league minimum I suppose it is a low-risk, high-reward pickup. But is he going to give you more than Felix Pie?

The weirdest part for me is that the next time Edmonds roams center at Busch he will be wearing a Cub uniform. (shiver) That is just not right. It is one thing to have Cesar Izturis or Mark Grudzielanek join STL after being Cubs, but they weren't "Cub" Cubs. Edmonds was a fan favorite for years in STL and one of the real stars for what seems like most of their run in recent seasons. It just isn't right thinking of him playing for the enemy. I'm sure Red Sox fans felt that way about Damon, too. Well, except Damon could still play and he went directly to the Yankees from the Red Sox. But seeing a beloved part of your family (my friend loved to yell out at games that Jimmy was his biological father--of course he deals with abandonment issues, but that is another matter) playing for the other guys...weird.

I really can't remember the last time that happened. What about your teams? Are there those players for you?

1 comment:

JohnFromBoston said...

Roger Clemens was the toughest. I could deal with Wade Boggs leaving for New York, but not the Rocket. I a part of me died inside every time I saw him in the Blue Jays Uniform. The Yankees uniform was a thousand times worse though. I enjoyed seeing him as an Astro, cause he screwed the Yankees over (at least in my world). Once he joined the Yankees again voluntarily, I washed my hands of him...I believe on this very blog.

It honestly didn't bother me when Damon left. He did the same exact thing to Oakland when he came here. He was only here for 4 years or whatever it was, so it wasn't as big a deal. He just took more money to go elsewhere.

I think it was tougher when I was younger. I remember seeing Tony Pena in an Indian uniform and feeling really uncomfortable. Also, I think it matters more if the player broke in with the team. It was weird to see Trot Nixon in an Indian uniform.

Pedro would be weird to see pitching for someone else...mostly cause he was more or less unheard of in Montreal before he came here. I know he technically pitches for the Mets, but let's be real. He's always injured so it's kind of irrelevant.