Sunday, May 18, 2008

A few loose ends...

Every year, I swear I'm not going to a single home Red Sox game until they tear down Fenway. Every year, I break that promise. I was bored out of my mind today and have nothing to do until a certain blogger's wedding. I was online at Stubhub and found two bleacher tickets to tomorrow's game for $32 each, which isn't bad since the face value is $26. The Royals are in town the next three days, and their weeknights before school's out, so I figured this'd be my one shot to go this year, and I caved.

Monday May 19. Jon Lester's on the mound. By the way, today during the Sox game they showed the next three starters for the Red Sox, and my brother was convinced it was Pawtucket rotation. Lester, Masterson and Colon. I'd love to see Colon pitch, and I bet tickets are just as reasonable, but I'm going to meet the new men's basketball coach for the Massachusetts Minutemen at an alumni event, so tomorrow night it is.

In other news, I'm sorry to report that the Red Sox designated Julian "Automatic Win Day" Tavarez for assignment. I believe he cleared waivers and is now a free agent for any team that enjoys a crazy pitcher who looks like an air traffic control person every ground ball hit to the infield and who automatically winning every five days when in the rotation.

EDIT 5/21: Tavarez agreed to remain in the Boston organization and accepted his assignment to Pawtucket. Automatic Win Day begins in Pawtucket, every five days.

Another thing I've been meaning to write about. I don't know if I mentioned it or not last year, but the Red Sox Bullpen decided they were Pirates...not the Pittsburgh kind. The Captain Jack Sparrow kind. I think it happened when the movie was released. Anyway, they all have crazy Pirate names no one else is allowed to know and they have drum line routines they preform during rallies with spoons and empty water bottles. This year, they've added a Jolly Roger flag which they hangs in one of the windows of the bullpen bench.

1 comment:

Cale Putnam said...

Bet you're glad you went tonight!