Sunday, May 4, 2008

Inherited Runners

Today, Okajima came in the 7th with a runner on third and 1 out. I immediately said to my brother "I guarentee he's gonna let him score." Sure enough, Carl Crawford singled to left off Okajima, who then settled down and struck out the next two Rays.

It's very frustrating, cause Okajima is suppose to be a great reliever, but it seems like he allows every single inherited runner to score. His ERA is less than 1, but if we were to redo it to account for inherited runners, I bet it would be in the 3's or 4's. Anyone know of a site that gives stats about that?

Youk just homered as I'm posting. 5-3 Sox in the bottom of the 7th.

5 comments:

Denisov said...

The stats that you are looking for is called IS - Inherited Scored, it's a subset of IR - inherited Runner. Now, the value of a middle reliever is often measured in IRS%, or the Inherited Runner Scoring Percentage (i.e. "what percentage of Inherited Runners end up scoring").

If you care to research this yourself, click here: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/stats/pitching/

JohnFromBoston said...

Thanks. This had last years stats and Okajima stranded 24 of 28 last year. I can think of 4 off the top of my head he's allowed to score this year. Do you know of a place that has 2008 IRS%

JohnFromBoston said...

Nevermind... I figured it out. Okajima's let 6 of 8 inherited runners score this year...so I guess that means his IRS% is 75. Not good.

birdsonabat said...

Dennis, thanks for your contribution...maybe we should invite you to join us...hmm, that might be too much Boston love...but would add a lot of insight, I'm sure.

John...yeah, that is not a good sign. But it would be interesting to see what those situations were, too. Coming in with two out and a runner on first is a lot different than runners on second and third with no one out.
I'm not sure where you can find out THAT detail, but you may try emailing Bill James.

JohnFromBoston said...

He does work for the Red Sox...last I checked anyway, so I'm sure he has it.