Wednesday, April 30, 2008

When Is It "For Real"?

Checking the standings just a few minutes ago, it is almost ridiculous to see the teams at the top of their divisions: Baltimore (tied with Boston, who is only surprising in an 'underplaying' sense), the Sox (yes, there are other Sox, although from ESPN you'd hardly know it), Oakland (somehow tied with LAA), Florida, St. Louis, and Arizona (the crazy thing here is no one else is .500). And if we went back a couple days we would have the Rays tied up on top, too.

I know, it's still early. There is a lot of season left. Injured players will return. Hot bats will cool down. Teams will figure out some of those pitchers. Cliff Lee will allow another run (what is going on there?...if you said Lee would be throwing like this I'd swear they should have 20 wins by now with CC and Carmona...crazy). So...when does it become real? When is it not just a hot start? Or a fluke? Or...whatever?

I ask this in a broader sense as a fan of the game, but I also am really starting to wonder if the Cardinals will actually contend for the division. Should I get my hopes up? Maybe the longer I see them as 'overachievers' the less chance there is for a letdown and more chance to remain excited. Maybe.

They are just pitching so well. All of them, really. Kind of scares me that Mulder and Clement are scheduled to return in the next month...will that throw things off? Where will they put everybody?
The real issue is the hitting. When Ankiel is on, they seem like they have a chance. I am still wondering when Glaus is going to start hitting the HRs. He has one. Not a great power team. Still, they are scoring enough.

Is it real yet?

1 comment:

JohnFromBoston said...

I'm always skeptical of the standings until at least June. See "2003 Royals"...or the Yankees the past few years who have been horrific in April but still managed to make the playoffs.