Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Flu and the Paw Sox

The entire Red Sox team has the flu and/or is hurt. Varitek hasn't played in four games and won't start today. He might be available in the late innings. Manny DelCarmen can't pitch cause of it. In fact, the team sent him home. Not a big deal since he grew up in Boston, but still... It looked like Beckett was gonna get scratched Monday because of it. Thankfully, that didn't happen. He was warming up all set to go when all of a sudden his neck got really tight and sore (from the flu?) and he was scratched, causing David Pauly (who?) to be called up from Pawtucket to start. Diasuke couldn't pitch yesterday cause the flu and Jon Lester had to throw on 3 days rest. Add on top of that the fact that Lowell is still hurt, as is Youkilis who fouled a ball off a his foot. Crisp has something wrong with his wrist. Plus, tonight's Lester's turn to start. Obviously he can't, meaning the Red Sox racked up some more on their long distance bill and called up Justin Masterson to make his MLB debut tonight.

I read an article about him in the Herald this offseason. All I know about him is he's really tall, really goofy and a born again Christian. I guess he's a good guy who goes out of his way to befriend outcasts or something if I recall correctly. I just looked him up on redsox.com, and I found the most depressing stat about him, which is he is younger than me. I always get depressed knowing I could walk and talk and all that stuff before these guys could, yet know they're making millions and I'm watching them. Oh well. I just hope he can pitch at the Major League level. With the AA Portland Sea Dogs, he's 1-0 with a 0.95 ERA in 4 starts.

Anyway, here's what's gone on with the Paw Sox since I last posted. Joe Thurston, Manny's backup, was optioned down to make room for David Pauly who started Monday. Good move, as we all know Manny doesn't need a backup. After the start, Pauly was optioned back to Pawtucket and the Sox called up Craig Hanson. Hanson was thrown in the middle of a tie game yesterday in the 7th and gave up a lead off homerun and got the loss. He's the guy in 2005 who the Yankees passed on in the draft because he was too expensive. Yes, you read that right. The New York Yankees passed on him in the draft because he cost too much. He's from Long Island and I guess on draft day his family were all wearing Yankees gear expecting him to be drafted when they passed on him. Thankfully, his one sober friend who was a Sox fan was there to give him a Red Sox hat after what transpired. Or at least I'm assuming he was the one sober friend, cause he was the only Red Sox fan. This guy Hanson was suppose to be what Jonathan Papelbon is- an amazing closer. He had a decent 2006 with Boston, but it's been a disappointment since. I read over the off season that last year he struggled with a sleeping disorder, and now that it was diagnosed he was suppose to be better. I think he pitched reasonably well, but it still sucks that the Yankees can't afford him and yet he still gets the loss. Anyway, now Hanson has been optioned back to Pawtucket to make room for Masterson.

No comments: