Monday, June 11, 2007

News Flash: Sunday Now Called Pujolsday

It is becoming apparent that Sunday belongs to Albert Pujols (in a stewardship kind of thing from the Lord, of course). He hit two homers again this week, just as he did last week. He has hit 2 HRs in a game three times on Sunday this year and 8 of his 15 have been on Sundays. Albert is swinging a hot bat in general lately, but if they could only play games on Sunday (which would make the season a few years long) he may just shatter every season record in the book.

On the flip side of all this it means he has not hit so much in the majority of their games. That is not so great. But on Sundays I'd start putting money down on them winning. I am really hoping this will start carrying over every day and he will be back to being the best hitter in the game...or at least proving it again.

Not just because of Albert heating up, but I am feeling a little more hopeful for the season. Yes, much of this is because I'm not sure any NL Central team will even finish .500, but there are reasons to think things are looking up. One is they are hitting better as a team. Still not great, but better...when Molina is back it will be better too. I guess a lot of this is players coming back.
It is looking like Mulder and Carpenter will pitch again this year. And even if they are not "on their games" yet, they will be better than the current rotation....which will also put those guys back in the bullpen where they will be improved.

Also, if Walt Jocketty sees the Cards in contention he usually makes a deal before the deadline. I have no idea what there is to offer, but last year even Ronnie Belliard and Preston Wilson were key contributors. That is weird to say, but even small deals Walt somehow gets to work out most of the time.
So, only being a few games back of a team that is basically a .500 team and us starting to play better ball gives me some hope again. Of course that also means when they lose I am not as prepared for it...I have started thinking they will win again. When they don't I am having a hard time not getting upset by it. I was kind of resigning to it for awhile, which I am ashamed of, but not now.

Give it a week or two and we'll see how I feel.
Let's play more games on Sundays!

No comments: