Monday, April 13, 2009

Harry the K

What a sad day it is for Phillies fans.

Our beloved Harry Kalas has passed away... and watching or listening to a Phils' game will never be the same. He was our broadcaster for 38 years and will forever be known as "the voice" of the Phillies.

Growing up during the summer months I'd watch the Phillies games every day. I had created a little field and had index cards cut up to make little name cards that I'd move around the bases and put on the field for our defense. I kept track of the line-ups for each game in a little notebook.

And I lived to hear Harry's legendary: "Fly ball... deep to left field... watch that baby waaaaaaaaay outta here!! Home run Von Hayes!!" Von... or Michael Jack... or John Kruk... or Lenny Dykstra... or Ryan Howard... or Chase Utley.

For years I've been plugging into MLB.com just to watch the highlights and hear Harry's voice announce brilliant plays.

I loved listening to him and Whitey going back and forth... bantering... enjoying the game... just like two old friends should be doing. The difference was that millions of households were privy to their game-time conversations.

Sigh.

Admittedly... the voice of Harry Kalas has the ability to make me leap out of my seat and can also bring me to tears. It's the voice of memories. The voice of my childhood. And it will always be the voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.

It's a horribly sad day.

No comments: