Friday, August 29, 2008

Obnoxious.

I went to the Phillies/Cubs game last night here in Chicago. Really good game. The Cubs ended up winning on a Ramirez grand slam in the later innings which was unfortunate... but the game was still a lot of fun.

On the way out, however... I started getting really annoyed.

Cub fans were yelling things like, "Phillies suck," "Utley sucks," and "Joe Carter."

First of all. Clearly, the Phillies don't suck. Three teams in the NL [including the Cubs and the Mets who just took over first in the East] have a better record than the Phils. Three. That's it. You don't suck and have that kind of record.

Secondly. Chase went 3 for 5 last night and also reached on an error... getting him on base 4 times. He also scored a run and drove in a run. You don't suck and have a day at the park like that.

Thirdly. Joe Carter? Really? That's just mean.

I don't like obnoxious fans. I'm of the opinion that people should be good sports. Win graciously. Lose graciously. [Granted... I'll say that Dallas sucks until the day I die. But that's b/c of a lifetime of loathing for the Cowboys.] Cubs fans don't hate the Phillies. We're not rivals. Philly fans don't care about the Cubs.

Some people... those drunk, in particular... just have nothing of consequence or intelligence to say, but figure they should open their mouths anyway. I wish they wouldn't.

2 comments:

JohnFromBoston said...

Everyone does that. In fact, I was at a game in 2004 at a Red Sox-Phillies game in Boston, and I was sitting by a bunch of Phillie fans. They chanted "Bill Buckner" throughout the game. I naturally retaliated, switching back and forth with "Joe Carter" and "Mitch Williams." I think it's part of the game when fans of different teams get together. Cubs fans would be the easiest to get. I'm thinking "1908", "100 years", or even "Steve Bartman" would have been acceptable responses.

birdsonabat said...

Sadly, there are dumb fans everywhere...sometimes I wonder if there really is a higher percentage of them that are Cub fans, but it is probably just because there are so many Cub fans out there. And I have been exposed to waaaaaaay to many of them. Ugh. I can only imagine what it will be like if they somehow win the Series...of course, the Lord will then return and the new heavens and the new earth will be ushered in. So, we wouldn't have to deal with that for long.