Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Byrd a Red Sox

I'm back in Boston. I don't really know what's going on. I feel like such a fair weather fan. I saw part of the game Sunday, a 6-5 loss to the White Sox. I was technically still in Anchorage, but I was at a sports bar called Boston's. Close enough.

Apparently Buchholtz hasn't been everything I hoped for since I left. That's been the talk the last two days. I logged on to RedSox.com and saw the Sox traded a player to be named later and cash to Cleveland for Paul Byrd, who if I recall correctly, pitched better than Carmona and Sabathia in the ALCS last year. He's apparently gonna take Buchholtz spot in the rotation.

Wakefield's on the DL. The Sox have another knuckleballer starting tonight, Charlie Zinc. He's been really good with Pawtucket, 13-4 with a 2.89 ERA, 2 complete games and a shutout. It's his first start in the Majors. I remember Wakefield coming out of nowhere in 95 and leading the Sox to the division title that year. If Zinc can be half as effective for half as long during his Red Sox career, I'll be thrilled. He's pretty old for making his debut, about to turn 29 latter this month.

No comments: