Sunday, July 8, 2007

Just wanted to point something out

Around this time last year, the Red Sox lost a 17 inning game (or something like that) on the road to the defending American League Champion Chicago White Sox. Going into that game, the Red Sox were in first place in the American League East, the White Sox in second in the American League Central. I remember because I was staying four blocks from US Cellular Field and yet the televisions in the dorms didn't carry White Sox games, so I was checking up on the internet for scores, and after a while went outside to have a quiet time. I found out the Red Sox lost because I heard a BUNCH of fireworks while sitting out side around 7 or 8 o'clock, and I figured it was a bit late to be celebrating the Fourth of July. Kind of sticks out in my mind

The season was pretty much lost for both teams afterwards, as each kinda collapsed and neither made the playoffs, nor did either finish in the top two of their division. I remember the White Sox coming to Fenway later in either August or September and they put the numbers before the marathon game and after for both teams, and before it looked like both were going to the playoffs. After it looked like both were competing for a really good draft pick.

Yesterday, the Red Sox lost a 13 inning game on the road to the defending American League Champion Detroit Tigers. Going into the game, the Red Sox were in first place in the American League East, the Tigers tied for first, and therefore also for second, with the Cleveland Indians in the American League Central. The similar circumstances seem eerie to me.

No comments: