Wednesday, March 28, 2007

JohnFromBoston 101

So, Joe and I figure we should all give introductions and as I have a huge test tomorrow I only kinda started studying for, I think now is the most appropriate time to give such an intro.

My name is John. I'm a 22 year old senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I double major in Physics and Mathematics. I'm originally from Dorchester, the largest of Boston's 20 neighborhoods. I've been a Red Sox fan my entire life. I'm honestly wearing a Red Sox hat in my high school year book baby picture. My goal in said year book was "To live forever...or at least until the Red Sox win the World Series." Mission accomplished.

Anyway, aside from liking the Red Sox, I also dislike a few teams. Obviously the I can't stand the Yankees. I don't like the Indians as a result of the intense late 90s feuds they had with the Red Sox. If the Devil Rays were good I'd probably hate them too cause they also throw at Red Sox hitters and try to start brawls, but I mean, they're so bad it's kind of impossible to hold a grudge against them for too long. My favorite player of all time is Roger Clemens. I have the entire 25 man roster of the 2004 World Series Champions memorized and feel this should be a requirement to receive a high school diploma in New England.

Just a few thoughts about Major League Baseball: I like the fact that the DH is in the AL and not in the NL because its something pretty concrete to distinguish between the leagues and makes the World Series match ups more intrieging. I dislike interleauge play because I think it would be more worthwhile to play more games against the other teams in your own league for Wild Card Purposes. I also think not having Interleague play makes the All Star game more interesting and definately helps with World Series hype. Granted I was 11 years old when interleague started, but I always got the sense before it that if you won the pennant, you were heading into battle trying to conquer a great unknown. Because the leagues never mixed before the World Series, the regular season definately had no meaning whatsoever, which seemed alot more exciting. Now, odds are you've played the team within the past 2 seasons and it's just another round of playoffs...lame. Plus, with "natural rivals" it's not fair. Tell me if the Mets and Cardinals are battling for a wild card spot, it's fair the Mets play the Yankees six times whereas the Cardinals play the Royals six times. Come on. Also, the Red Sox have a lame natural rival. The Philadelphia Phillies? Yeah...that 1915 World Series was so intense that still, 92 years later I can't stand those gosh-darn Phillies.

Lastly, I hate divisions. Mostly cause the Yankees had the 5th best record in the AL in 2000 but still made the playoffs and won the World Series. Cheap stuff always benifitting the Yankees. I'd have two big leagues play balanced schedules without interleague play and the teams with the top four records would make the playoffs, but that's just me. I mean, look at the current defending champions, the St. Louis Cardinals, who I believe won as many post season games as regular season games. I don't think they deserved one of the 4 NL playoff spots, seeing as how the Mets, Phillies, Padres and Dodgers all had better records. Under my plan, teams would be rewarded for consistant play during the regular season.

Ok. That's it for now. I'll make predictions later on.

Oh yeah, by the way, the Pirates might have beat the Red Sox 3-2, but when it really counted in the 1903 World Series, we all know who came out on top.

1 comment:

birdsonabat said...

This is super old and may never be read, but I wanted to note that I appreciate the references to baseball's beautiful history. And I will also say that I will hold onto the 1946 and 1967 Series and not the 2004...best of 3?