Wednesday, July 16, 2008

All Star Game Thoughts...

1. I loathe J.D. Drew. So of course he won the MVP award.

2. I'm a little bit concerned about Brad Lidge. Giving up a walk-off homer to Albert Pujols in the NLCS a few years ago really rattled him. He didn't recover until he came to Philly this year. Will losing the ASG last night have a similar affect on him? I sure hope not... cuz he just signed a 3-year deal...

3. I was really impressed with that one inning where the AL had the bases loaded with no outs and the pitcher got three infield hits in a row with outs at home. The other really impressive play was Nate McClouth's throw from center to home for another out. It was a PERFECT throw. Any other location on the ball and it wouldn't have been an out. Perfect.

4. Fifteen innings? Really? I mean... I usually like extra inning games... but I think this was kind of ridiculous in light of the managers trying to get all the players in... and still trying to win... AND trying to protect guys like Kazmir and Webb who weren't supposed to pitch. Should the managers have extra players in case of a never-ending game like this year's? Should pitchers be replaced if they're not able to be used in the game?

5. With that... should the game matter? I like that it matters b/c it makes the guys actually try to win. On the other hand... since the AL is clearly the better league [though you wouldn't necessarily know it from last night's game] it's almost a "gimme" that the AL will get home field advantage for the World Series. That kinda blows.

No comments: