Friday, August 10, 2007

Welcome Back, Rick!

Congratulations to Rick Ankiel on his comeback to the Majors last night. Who would have thought after his tragic and mysterious meltdown and fall out of the league that he would ever come back, let alone as a slugging outfielder. Who knows if he will end up hitting well enough to hang around for years or how good he will be, but what an incredible story. Not just that he made it back, but that he did it in such dramatic fashion. Homering in his first game is almost to perfect to be true. You almost couldn't have scripted it any better. About the only thing that could add to this story would be for him to spark a climb into the playoffs or something. Not likely, but the other teams in the division seem to want to help make that a reality.

I still remember seeing him pitch in 2000 and almost falling out of my seat watching his sick curve. I also remember reading about his meltdown while I was in Germany. I remember feeling sick for him when it was obvious he wasn't going to move past it. And then being shocked to hear he was going to pursue becoming an outfielder a couple years ago. I certainly hoped he could do it and not have another mental block...but I don't think I really thought it would happen.

I hope he stays and spends years hitting in front of or behind Albert, that he will be another power bat they desperately need.

Just don't put him in as a last ditch reliever some game (like Speizio or Miles this year) and risk another freakout.

No comments: