Thursday, December 20, 2007

Farewell, Jimmy

It is a strange thing how I feel about Jim Edmonds being traded. For most of the last couple years I can only say that I had little confidence in Jim at the plate, usually forseeing a strikeout on a pitch up around his helmet. I was surprised when they signed him to a two year $19M contract last year since he had done so poorly and been so hurt the year before...and he didn't seem to have much left in the tank. Probably from running into so many walls and throwing himself all over centerfield so long. (My roommate--loser Cub fan--seems to think all Jim does is catch the ball and fall down...cynic...he just doesn't know baseball).

So, after half wishing they hadn't resigned him and thrown money at a player so obviously not going to live up to it and groaning when he would come to the plate in clutch situations...well, I am sad that he is gone. I was a little surprised, to tell you the truth. Not just because another team would want to trade for him (and I hope he plays well for the Pads...what about Cameron, though?). Jim just seemed like one of those guys the Cardinals would hold onto because he was a real Cardinal and would retire a Cardinal. He has certainly been a fan favorite for years and it won't be the same without him in center. I won't miss his swing-and-miss approach to hitting these last few years, but he was amazing out in the field and still gave me confidence that that part of the diamond was covered. I guess this is what happens when a team gets old and needs to start looking to the future.

Farewell, Jimmy. You will be missed. (and not just by my friend Brian, who likes to pretend you are his biological father)

No comments: